Sunday 15 January 2012

Further Tonal Study on White Ground


I am pleased with the colours chosen for this painting – although, as I stated previously, the blue is not particularly low-key, I feel it works well for this painting, making it colourful without detracting from the main point of the painting – the tonal values of the objects.  However, I deliberately left the background (windows, wall and table) with a fairly flat tone to make the objects stand out more, and used transparent paint to allow the white ground to show through.

Although the painting is probably a little more detailed than necessary for a true tonal study, I really enjoyed depicting the variations in the objects.  As all three objects had reflective surfaces, it would have been almost impossible to represent the full tonal variations – especially with the wine bottle and glass reflecting on the jug – without this level of detail.

I think the composition has worked well and clearly give the impression of a high viewpoint, rather than a traditional angle.  The most difficult part to paint was the glass (I definitely need to buy a finer brush – struggled to get very fine lines round the rim of the glass) and I had to study it carefully to assess the tones and highlights.  At first, I couldn’t really work out why the sides of the glass were so light when both background objects were dark, but I think it was the light from the spotlight shining on and through the glass. 

The corrugated cardboard worked well and the texture of the surface actually helped, especially when adding the light highlights, because it broke up the paint which gives a more accurate depiction of light hitting the objects.


No comments:

Post a Comment