Monday 28 November 2011

Applying paint without brushes

I experimented here with a variety of objects: rag, kitchen towel, fingers, foam square from packaging, a piece of corrugated cardboard, toothbrush, feather and an old credit card.  Smearing with rags and fingers made a more textured, broken and multi-tonal effect than applying paint with a brush and could be useful to create an interesting backdrop to, say, a still life or portrait.



Pulling down applied paint with an implement, such as a credit card or the corrugated cardboard was also a good technique to create textured effects.


I also practised with a palette knife, small painting knife and a sponge.  I liked the effect of applying colours over each other and dragging off with a palette knife – again, a much more interesting surface than a brush applied finish.



Painting with Pastels

As I have just completed the “Drawing 1” course – I decided to skip the exercise on painting with pastels as I completed a number of drawings in all the pastel media – oil pastels, soft pastels, hard pastel sticks and pastel pencils – very recently.   One of my favourite pieces was the still life in oil pastels reproduced below (roughly A2 size):



No comments:

Post a Comment